Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Another good idea

I receive a daily email called Every Day Cheapskate and I have found some wonderful gems on it over the past few years.  I absolutely love this one!  To look at spending in terms of how many hours mom would have to work to get it...really adjusts the perspective! 
When was the last time you cashed your paycheck and divvied up the cash for your expenses? Miriam created an amazing visual for her kids. I think we all could benefit from doing the same thing.
SEEING IS BELIEVING. When my children were young, they wanted to know why we couldn’t afford things. One day I brought home my weekly pay in one dollar bills. Together, we made piles for rent, groceries, transportation, fun, etc. It simplified things that I made $10 an hour, but the size of the piles helped, too. After that experience, I could hear the children sometimes say to one another, “But that costs four hours of Mom’s time; is it worth it?” Lesson well learned. Miriam, Ontario, Canada

No comments: